In a research by beauty West Africa, it was founded that the purchase of makeup products in Africa has risen to 75% within the 21st century and still increasing. The truth is that women love looking good and it is evident in the recent rise in the number of makeup artists to carter for the every day make up need of a woman.
In the early 1980s, make up was used only for special occasions like the traditional marriage ceremony and as costumes in theatre . The premier makeup artist who established the first make up school & studio in Nigeria (House of Tara) started to work with brides to help them achieve the look they desire on their wedding day.
However, today’s woman wants to look good at every point in her life, from her way to lectures to the office to a photo-shoot, a birthday party, or a wedding ceremony, she always needs that gorgeous look. The reason for wearing a makeup determines the type of make up to wear, which also determines the kits to be used for the makeup. For a beginner, below are the essential makeup kits to have in your closet;
- Foundation: Applied on the face, foundations are used to create uniform and even colour to your face and skin complexion. It can also be used to cover flaws (pimples, dark spots) and to change the natural skin tone. Foundation can be liquid, cream, or powdered. Cream foundation is ideal for dry skin and for a medium to full coverage; It’s more of a thick luxurious texture and more likely to crease (endeavour to blend properly).The liquid foundation is more popular and widely used by all skin types and can work perfectly for oily skin; the finishing can be matte, natural or dewy and it offers light, medium and full coverage. The powdered foundation is not widely used neither do you need a finishing powder for it after the application; Just like a liquid or cream foundation, it perfectly sits on the skin and is usually mineral or talc-based powder.
- Setting Powder: Setting powder is used to hold foundation or ‘set’ it in place, prevent it from rubbing off and reduce the sticky feeling of foundations on the face. The setting powder is applied after the foundation and helps absorb excess oil on your face. It can also be used to touch up makeup throughout the day.
- Eyebrow Pencil: Eyebrow pencils are used to fill up the brows or draw the brows to achieve a more natural looking brow during makeup. This pencil also helps define the brows. A brow filler also functions perfectly just like a brow pencil. The only difference is how they are applied.
- Mascara Wand: Also called a spoolie brush; the mascara wand apart from its use to apply mascara to groom the eye lashes, they come in handy during eyebrow application, they are used to brush back eyebrows to make them appear tidy. In addition, after filling your eyebrows with brow pencil, the mascara wand can be run over it. This trick softens the harsh edges and lines of the eye shadow and gives a natural look to your eyebrows.
- Angled Eyebrow Brush: This brush as its name implies is angled and used to define a crisp clean brow shape. Its highly used for applying concealer on the arches to make the brows pop out further.
Angled eyebrow brush
- Concealer: Concealer is not used just to cover unwanted blemishes or dark circles under the eyes; it helps shape and lifts brows usually with only one application. The more defined and lifted your brow look, the brighter and rested you’ll appear.
- Eyeliner: The eyeliner can either be liquid or solid and used to draw attention to the eyes. It can be drawn above upper lashes or below the lower lashes or both.It can also be drawn on the water lines of the eyes; this make up kits makes the lashes look lush and can even change the eye shape.
- Eyeshadow Pallete: Eye shadow also draws attention to the eyes, can make the eyes appear larger and add depth to the wearer’s eye. Eye shadow comes in different shades and applied in the eyelids and under the eyes to make the eyes attractive. Eye shadow can also be applied to the lips to form different shades of lipstick.
- Lipstick: Apart from its making your lips glow and enhancing the look of our makeup, lipstick can protect our lips from cold and wind by forming a protective barrier for your lips. The lipstick also helps repair-cracked lips, brightens smile, defines the lips and serve as a psychological boost.